Friday, October 8, 2010

This is a test

In order to be better able to help other contributors to this blog navigate the process of accepting an invitation to the blog, signing on, and posting, I have created a new avatar, test pirate. I am Amazon Grace, and I have been blogging under that name for a little more than two years.

Amazon Grace is, as you may know, the title of Mary Daly's final book. I didn't know that when I adopted it as my blogging name. I picked it because Grace is my middle name, and the play on words occurred to me, and I couldn't resist it. When we were planning to start the Mary Daly group, I decided to reacquaint myself with Daly's work, and found that my blog name was also the title of a book that Daly had published in 2006. This is an example of what Daly calls Syn-Crone-icities, defined in the Wickedary as :"`coincidences' experienced and recognized by Crones as Strangely significant."

This illustrates one of my favorite things about Mary Daly, the way that she plays with language and invents new words. For Mary Daly, liberation is not about following rules, it's about playfulness and thinking outside the box.

So this new avatar was deliberately chosen to use another concept from Mary Daly, the concept of being a pirate, as quoted by Deborah Barlow on the blog Slow Muse:
“Ever since childhood, I have been honing my skills for living the life of a Radical Feminist Pirate and cultivating the Courage to Sin,’’ she wrote in the opening of “Sin Big,’’* her New Yorker piece. “The word ‘sin’ is derived from the Indo-European root ‘es-,’ meaning ‘to be.’ When I discovered this etymology, I intuitively understood that for a woman trapped in patriarchy, which is the religion of the entire planet, ‘to be’ in the fullest sense is ‘to sin.’ ’’

Here's hoping you have a sin-ful day, in Daly's sense of the word.

(By the way, once you create your account and sign in, if you look around on your Dashboard, you will see a link that says "view blog." Click it, and the blog will automagically appear.)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you test pirate - I have been waiting all my life for the permission to "sin". I have been mulling it over in my brain lately to try and let myself off the hook for doing the things that society deems inappropriate for women. I very rarely watch TV comedy shows but I have been inspired by the new show Molly & Mike; not for the potential love affair between Molly & Mike but the way Molly struggles to be herself despite the expectations of her mother and herself.

    From reading Mary Daly's book Outercourse, I can see that she struggled all her life to just be-ing.

    ReplyDelete